The immediate past Commissioner for Health in Ogun state, Dr Babatunde Ipaye on Wednesday accused Gov Dapo Abiodun of misleading the people of the state on the authentic state of facilities at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu.
Ipaye was reacting to a statement credited to the Governor after his assessment tour of the state-owned teaching hospital that the facilities has become deplorable and therefore needs urgent attention.
According to the Governor then, “This new administration attaches a high importance to the health sector and we cannot fold our arms while the only teaching hospital in the state continues to degenerate.
I don’t see how this place can produce good doctors; we shall go back to the drawing board.
This place is sub-standard. This hospital is in a depressing state. We shall improve the facilities and work on the personnel,” the governor lamented.
But Ipaye who also spoke with Gateway Times on Wednesday, July 10, said Abiodun was only playing to the gallery as the administration of Sen Ibikunle Amosun achieved some feats at the teaching hospital.
The full text of Dr Ipaye’s statement is presented below:
I have chosen to take a deserved rest and keep mute while this government lasts. I have to now break my deliberate silence on the exuberance of the present govt on OOUTH and the politics of the 250 beds hospital.
I agree we did not do enough for OOUTH and I am not particularly proud of that. BUT you may wish to note the following lies of Mr. Governor.
1. The University and Teaching hospital conducted two sets of call-to-medical profession in 2019 for graduating doctors. So which accreditation(s) was/were lost? What he said on TV was a BIG lie.
2. The Maternity ward whose wall was shown had been evacuated months before he visited. A newly renovated that maternity ward allows good clinical flow had replaced the old maternity ward. His cameras did not see the new maternity ward and the newly renovated children ward beside it.
3. We built a model PHC centre for Child Survival, Immunization and other key PHC activities, his cameras never saw that.
4. We converted the abandoned food services building to a 36 bed Male Surgical Ward, his camera never saw that.
5. We remodelled the Children Emenrgency Unit, his cameras didn’t see that.
6. We inherited an abandoned dilapidating O&G building, reconstructed it into the Male Medical and Infectious Control Unit and got post-graduate accreditation for Medicine Dept, your governor did not see it.
7. We facilitated a diagnostic centre based on PPP and a cancer screening centre, they were so invincible to the team that visited.
8. We commissioned a 33KVA power supply that provides at least 18hours of electricity to the hospital after 30 years of 11KVA supply and that amounts to nothing to Mr. Governor
9. We revised the business process and reduced Pharmaceutical out-of-stock from as high as 70% in previous regimes to less than 5% before we left, that is not service improvement.
10. I have a video to share, but will not share same to avoid a witch hunt of workers of OOUTH on their comments when I was being sent off as the first HCH to be so honoured.
You guys may wish to visit OOUTH to confirm confirm or refute the above and decide if you will continue to spread the lies.
Honesty and Integrity are siamese twin.